Pages

Friday, April 12, 2013

POETRY FRIDAY- Day #12- Trying a New Form

 Mary Lee has an auditory prompt today, a harp piece. Maybe I will try to post it here later, but I'm late to work right now, so you need to go there and listen.

This week has been hard for me. Early mornings, tons of school work, full, full days and then trying to write poetry at night. When I write, I long for simplicity and clarity. I want to put together a few words or images that say a lot, but I keep ending with these lengthy, wordy messes, which irritate me greatly. But which I don't seem to be able to avoid.

Today, I decided to limit my wordiness by trying something completely different. Earlier this month, I encountered a form that was new to me. Bonnie, who blogs at blkdrama.wordpress.com is a March slicer. Earlier this month, she posted a poetry form called an arun, which she learned from another slicer, Stacie, who blogs at girlgriot.wordpress.com.  An arun is a fifteen-line poem, written in three sets of five lines. Each set of five lines follows the same syllable structure: starting with one syllable and increasing by one (1/2/3/4/5 — 3x).

"Morning Hike"

ears
collect
birds trilling
gravel crunching.
healing mountain voice.

eyes
gather
yellow primrose.
purple columbines.
colors to take home 

breathe.
let go.
refocus.
listen to Him.
return to center.

(c) Carol Wilcox, 2013 

*******************
 "Morning Pond"

Stone
still pond
stone meets pond
ripples spreading
out, out ever out…

sky
water
the two meet
sky and water
Mirror reflecting

Now
we see
reflection
someday, we will
understand fully.

(c) Carol Wilcox, 2013

Diane Mayr is hosting POETRY FRIDAY at Random Noodling.
 

9 comments:

Diane Mayr said...

These seem like fun. I'll definitely give them a try. I like how yours turned out!

Bridget Magee said...

I was not familiar with aruns, but am now excited to give the form a try! Your two examples have inspired me. Thank you! =)

Andromeda Jazmon said...

This is a meditative form of poetry. I am going to try some. Thanks for sharing!

Donna Smith said...

I get irritated when I say too much in a poem, too. I write and then go back and tear out words. Feels great to do that! I loved your poems, and the form. I think I may try an arun for one of my lobsterboat names.

Poetry Friday and
AtoZ Challenge
www.mainelywrite.blogspot.com

Doraine said...

Intriguing poems. I like them both. I had not heard of this form before. I can see how it would bring order to your thoughts after a long, busy day. Good for you for coming home and writing even when you're weary.

Tara @ A Teaching Life said...

Loved Morning Hike....I felt centered and collected as though I'd been on a morning hike myself.

Beverley Baird said...

Love these new poems Carol.I've never heard of this form - but it is so effective.
Hope you get a bit of rest this weekend.
|I've had 2 days off - just feeling run down and not right. Got in a bit of art today and I needed that. Poems must be the same for you.
I'm certainly enjoying all that you've written.

Books4Learning said...

I like your format and imagery. Great poems!

Linda B said...

I tried a new form today, too, Carol, for the same reason, to limit my words. It does help to have a structure, doesn't it? I like these, but I do enjoy your 'wordiness' as you say, too.