Pages

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Poem #20- Travelling

San Antonio, image selected by Mary Lee Hahn from Wikimedia Commons,

I'm participating in Mary Lee Hahn's Common Inspiration- Uncommon Creations poetry challenge this month.

"Travelling"

long before the sun
climbs over the horizon

we travel eastward
across the plains of Colorado
past the cornfields of
Nebraska and Iowa
over the wide brown Mississippi
into Illinois.

The map,
once a precisely
fractioned pamphlet
becomes an unwieldy mass
as it is recreased
refolded
then reopened

my stubby seven-year-old finger
wonderingly
traces our route
amazed that
I have journeyed this
so far into the
big wide world.

(C) Carol Wilcox, 2013



4 comments:

Beverley Baird said...

I can sympathize with the map mess!
Now with GPS, maps are almost absolete. I do like to have them because I don't totally believe the GPS.
Another wonderful poem Carol!

Linda B said...

I love how that simple photo of the map brought forth such memories, Carol. Like Beverley, I remember the folding challenge & my dad wanted us to put the maps back "properly"!

Unknown said...

I posted an article about you, including quotes and a link on our new April blog: http://barkingplanet.typepad.com.

Robert McCarty

Carol said...

Thanks so much for all your comments. Robert, thanks for including me on your blog, what a nice surprise!
Carol