Pages

Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Poem #6- Raising Rooney-- Fifty-Seven New Friends



"Fifty- Seven New Friends"

You don't start school 
the last week of the year
But I did. 
I made fifty-seven new friends.  

We went on a field trip.
Had to walk three miles.
My mom wondered 
whether she could
carry me that far.
She didn't need to worry.
Fifty-seven new friends.
all carried me a block. 
Then started over. 
They took turns bowling
and babysitting.

We went for ice cream.
I tried walking.
Made it a block.
Then went right back
to hitching a ride. 
Everyone wanted to share
their ice cream.
My mean mom said no.
But she did  let them 
share their laps. 

You don't start school 
the last week of the year
But I did.
I made fifty-seven new friends.  

(C) Carol Wilcox, 2021

  

3 comments:

Linda B said...

Ha! Everyone loves a puppy! It's a wonderful capture of that early time!

Cathy said...

I'll bet Rooney was the hit of the party!

Ramona said...

Oh, what fun! I love how Rooney's new friends carried him and offered laps and love.