Pages

Friday, April 2, 2021

National Poetry Month- Raising Rooney- Poem #2- Hello

 Rooney, the service puppy who has been my constant companion for the last two years, has just entered advanced training, which means that sometime during the next 12 months, he will become a full-fledged service dog. Shortly after I got Rooney, I decided to create some kind of book to pass on to Rooney's new owner, so he/she would know the story of Rooney's first two years. This month, I'm going to try to write thirty poems about Rooney. This is a crazy year, and they probably won't be very good or polished, but I'm going to do my best.  

"Hello"

You arrive 
on American Airlines Flight 2635
at 1:08 on a Sunday afternoon
Memorial Day weekend
You have flown far
San Francisco
to Dallas
to Denver

A gallon baggie holds
your worldly possessions--
a little kibble,
a few just-in-case
bags and wipes,
a chew toy.

Mandy and Matt,
your traveling companions,
carry you up the escalator
and hand you over
at arrivals.

Immediately,
you lay your head 
on my shoulder
a tired baby
longing for his mama.

Rushing travelers 
stop midstep
suitcases collide
a collective awww
ripples 
through the crowd

and so we begin our life
together

(a) Carol Wilcox, 2021

13 comments:

Ramona said...

A touching slice of Rooney's arrival. I know the month will hold special treats for us.

Mary Lee said...

So sweet!

Ruth said...

This will be such a precious gift for Rooney's new owner! What a wonderful moment you've captured!

Leigh Anne Eck said...

I can hear the collective aww...because I did that when I saw your picture. What a special gift!

Tricia said...

What a lovely gesture. Rooney's new owner will be lucky to have the story of his journey. What a sweet poem to open your tale!

Fran Haley said...

Oh my goodness, this post, this monthlong project and the whole story pull on my heartstrings! What a gift, both Rooney and the poetic rendering of his life.

Linda B said...

Aw, he does look so sleepy in the picture! I love that "Aw from the other travelers."

Kay said...

Even from the beginning he was making a difference--love that aww from the other travelers as suitcases collide.

skanny17 said...

Such a lovely act of caring by being a dog mom. Your poems will be a gift to Rooney's lucky new owner. I don't know how you can give so much love away, but it is true compassion to be a service dog's mama. Glad you are sharing your poems here!
Janet Clare F.

Bridget Magee said...

You had me at 'hello'... I look forward to reading Rooney's and your story, Carol. Dogs. Are. The. Best. :)

Cathy said...

Writing a poem every day about Rooney sounds like the perfect plan. I enjoyed hearing about your first day and can't wait to watch the poem-story unfold.

Tabatha said...

That is the sweetest poem ever.

Buffy Silverman said...

What a wonderful gift to Rooney's fur-ever owner--both the poems and your training him.