Pages

Wednesday, March 20, 2019

SLICE- #20- BEYOND QUIET



She is so very quiet.

So very sweet.

Such a good girl.

She rarely talks.

She asks so little.

I work hard to let her know

I see her every day.

Once or twice a week

 she sneaks upstairs at lunchtime.

Somehow sliding past the cafeteria monitors

And the parents at the welcome center.

I am always surprised

when I hear her soft voice,

"Miss, can I help you?"

I wonder on those days

if the noise in the cafeteria,

the meanness of some girls,

is just too much.

for her soft, sweet spirit. 

She stays ten or fifteen minutes

wipes the board

sharpens pencils,

straightens books,

then heads outside.

Today we are citing evidence.

Less than two weeks from the state test

And I am stunned to realize

Oh my gosh, she doesn't get it.

And I wonder how many other things

She has missed

Because she was too shy

and too sweet

to advocate for herself.

3 comments:

Deidra hooper said...

I love the style of this, so quiet, like the girl. I feel for her, as I've known others like her, under the radar, capturing our attention only in their quietude. It was a beautiful reminder to check in with those who don't have their voices yet. Thank you for this. I'm going to check in with mine tomorrow.

Readingteachsu said...

But now you've noticed and you're going to be on top of it. You'll coach her and her teacher. That's some great noticing.

Elisabeth Ellington said...

Kidwatching is one of your superpowers, Carol. I love the quiet observations here.