Pages

Thursday, March 9, 2017

SLICE #9- A LATE NIGHT SLICER?

So yesterday, this showed up on the TWO WRITING TEACHERS daily slice post.

And if I'm really being honest, ok, I am really being honest, I hate these.  Can I tell you why?

I am a morning person. I always have been. I got that gene from my father, who always got up super early and read, or worked on yellow legal pads he brought home from the office, or unloaded the dishwasher (which the non-morning people in the house totally loved!).

When I was a little girl, I got up with him. We had breakfast together. He helped me with my multiplication tables and algebra homework. I practiced the piano (which the non-morning people in the house totally loved!).

As a morning person, I am also a morning writer. Or at least I prefer to be a morning writer. I know I write better in the morning. I am more creative. My thoughts are clearer. The writing is more crafted. I can edit my own mistakes.

And when you write in the morning, you get more feedback from other writers. I really like getting feedback.

And yet, pretty much each of the last ten days, I have been one of the last twenty people to submit my slice. On Friday, I totally missed the deadline. I sliced, but it was after midnight, at least according to East Coast standards.

I hate slicing at night. The writing usually is not as well-crafted. I often read it the next morning and feel less than satisfied. There are usually editing errors I didn't catch.

And you get very little feedback from other writers.

But right now life is really complicated. My principal retired unexpectedly, mid year, and my professional life is in major upheaval. We are a week from taking the PARCC and I'm frantically reading student work and helping teachers plan those last few lessons. Thinking about how we can help those "cusp" kids score in the proficient range. And help our ELL kids and struggling readers and writers demonstrate all that they can do.

And then there's the home stuff. Single parenting of two almost adults, who are not quite acting like adults. Paying bills. Walking the dog. Cleaning. Or at least picking up a little.

By the time I get to slicing, it's usually about 9:00. And not 9:00 where I am slicing for the next day. I'm not that far ahead. It's 9:00 where I only have an hour and then it won't even be considered a slice for that day.

But I really do want to participate in the Slice of Life community. And so I slice at night. And slap my slices up there at the last minute, knowing they are not the very best I can do. And knowing I won't get many, if any comments.

And maybe it's just me.

But when I see that "Late Night Slicer" badge, I feel a little sad. Disorganized. Late to the party. Unworthy.

I won't be putting that late night slicer deal on my blog.  

I don't want to wear that badge.                        

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I wish I were an early morning slicer too, but I slice after coming home from a full day at school and I am tired, but my time zone makes it appear as if I am a morning slicer. I too long to be a day ahead, but it is never going to happen it seems. I get all the busy you are feeling. The important thing is you are showing up and doing the writing- no matter who else is reading it.

Linda B said...

It is hard to get it all in, Carol. But keep on, I like your writing, always fun and interesting.

Tara said...

I'm not a fan of badges. Anyway, I slice when I can and I'm never consistent about when I slice (again, it's hard to be consistent when you have so much on your plate and even carving out some writing time can be daunting). As Erika says, the important thing is that you are showing up every day and working on your craft - early or late.

Elisabeth Ellington said...

Theoretically, I'm also a morning slicer. The writing is always better in the morning, even though I often have less time to write. Somehow I'm more focused, more in the zone. But so often, life gets in the way, and like Tara, I slice when I can and I'm not consistent. This week is my spring break and since I know I will have time later in the day, it's been very easy to put off writing until later. Next week I'm going to have to get back to my early morning slicing--otherwise it's never going to get done! I'm just glad you're here each day. Your blog is one of my favorites.

Karen said...

I have to be honest, I have fluctuated multiple times in the past 9 days between posting at night, or posting in the early morning. Bottom line, I would not be able (or want to) use those badges either.
On another note, I sure hope life settles down for you, but when you worry about others all the time, that's easier said than done.

Ramona said...

I'm so glad you're here. It doesn't matter when we slice or if we even miss the "deadline" as much as that we're writing and sharing and supporting each other. I remember those late night slices when I would be rushing to beat the deadline. So keep slicing and keep writing, we're here to read it whenever it shows up.

Glenda Funk said...

How did I not see these badges? Maybe it's because I didn't really look as I posted a quickly penned slice early in the morning. I don't like the badges. My schedule doesn't always allow me to decide when to slice. Typically, I write at night because I get up at 5:00 a.m. for the gym. I schedule slices to post at 4:00 a.m. and link to the TWT blog when I awaken or return from the gym.

This evening I attended an event at school that I intend to slice about, but I can't do it tonight. I need to comment, and I always try to comment on blogs of those who comment on mine; I'm also trying to comment on the posts of at least a couple of late slicers, and I adhere to the two down, one up from my post "rule" of commenting. I don't like the admonition to scroll and comment--although I do that, too--or the comment on your clique's posts as I think that reduces community. Clearly, I have lots of thoughts about this, but I'm just starting my commenting routine and have only 49 minutes to finish!