Pages

Saturday, April 12, 2014

Wonder #12- Empire State building

Image from Wikimedia Commons, Gigi Alt

 I'm trying to participate in Mary Lee Hahn's "Our Wonderful World."
This morning I taught a class, then got a call that my mom had been hospitalized again.
So I spent a good part of today in Colorado Springs with her. And by the time I got home, there were not a whole lot of poems.

This started out as a haiku.
But then the last line wouldn't work.
But I liked it.
So I left it. 
And so it's only kind of a haiku.

"Empire State Building"

Tower slices sky
a geometric symphony 
 of curves and quadrilaterals.
(C) Carol Wilcox, 2014
***********
And then I read an article about a Ford mustang being sawed apart and hauled up elevators for a fiftieth anniversary celebration. And it felt like there was a poem there somehow.

"Invitation"

You are cordially invited
to a
fiftieth
anniversary
celebration
Please come!
a shiny silver
mustang
convertible
will be
unceremoniously
sawed into three parts
then stuffed into elevators
and hauled
up 86 floors
to be reassembled
and admired
by the world.

(c) Carol Wilcox, 2014

1 comment:

Mary Lee said...

Sorry to hear about your mom.

Love the ridiculously extravagant idea of sawing a mustang apart and reassembling it 86 floors up!