Pages

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

POEM #23- AURORA

Aurora Borealis, Norway 2006, Rafal Konieczny, found on Wikimedia Commons
 I'm participating in Mary Lee's April Poetry Challenge at Year of Reading and her new blog Poetrepository. (Don't you love the name?!?). Today's wonder is the Aurora.

"Aurora"

I have never known
the magic
of green blue light
in what should be
darkness

but I have known
an Aurora magic
all my own

two years ago
when human brokenness
brought unspeakable horror
to a movie theater
in a city
not five miles
from my own
and twelve died
and fifty-eight more
were wounded

My Aurora
believed in goodness 
gathered
wept
embraced
sang
prayed
to myriad gods
then released balloons
into twilight sky

and although
I have never known
the magic of
green blue light
in what should be darkness

that night
pinpricks of goodness
sparked brightly
in Aurora sky.

(c) Carol Wilcox, 2014

2 comments:

Mary Lee said...

Perfect! A combination!

Rebecca Gomez said...

I love this. Such beauty from tragedy.