Pages

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

POEM #22- Mount Everest


 Having spent almost my entire life in Colorado, I've had mountains in my front yard forever. I love watching how the colors change, depending on the time of day. I love watching clouds move in and cover the mountaintops before a storm. I love watching shadows shift.

I' also fear the mountains. I know the weather can change in an instant. I've slid down a mountain on my rear when a quick moving lightning storm surprised us.

And I know it's really easy to get lost.  Two weeks ago, a father and son visited Colorado for spring vacation. The boy was about to graduate from high school, and he and his father had come here, while his mother and sister went to Mexico for spring vacation. The mother and daughter came back from their trip, couldn't contact the father and son, and finally got in touch with authorities who spent a week combing the mountains. The search party never found the father and son and eventually the search was called off. The bodies will probably be found this summer.

 "Everest"

Everest.
Threatening.
Twenty nine thousand feet.
Thin air.
Bitter cold.
Gale force winds.
Ice fields.
Avalanches.

Everest.
Beckoning.
Climb to touch the heavens.
Climb to prove you can.
Climb because I'm here.

The mountain speaks.

(C) Carol Wilcox, 2014

2 comments:

Linda B said...

"Climb because I'm here." For some, I guess that's it, isn't it? Frightening about this latest avalanche and we have our share here too. You got it down to the essence, Carol.

Mary Lee said...

I'm glad you gave the mountain a voice...and both of its messages to us.