The first day of slicing.
I am up early.
1:40, to be exact.
That's when Star,
my supposedly dieting dog,
decided it was time for breakfast.
I got up.
Wanted to write something really brilliant.
A poem, that could do double duty for Poetry Friday
And my Slice of Life.
Roses are redI thought about six word memoirs.
Violets are blue.
Some good friends are poets
I wish I was too!
Three weeks ago,
Kelly Gallagher shared some really great ones
at our state reading conference.
- Never married. Doubly blessed adoptive mom.
- Forever sports mom, almost empty nester.
- Book in hand since age four.
- I've taught forever and a day.
- Literacy coach, love kindergarten to adults.
- Very definitely not a domestic goddess.
- Mom to obese, endlessly starved lab.
- Dream of fostering seeing eye puppies.
- Wanna be Spanish speaker. ¿Habla español?
- Should try internet dating. Too chicken.
- Need new hobby. Watercolors? Knitting? Swimming?
- Boys almost gone. Find some more???
Or maybe me by the numbers--
- 1959- the year I was born
- 3- the number of girls in my birth family
- 0- the number of boys in my birth family
- 2- the number of Diet Cokes I drink every day
- 6- the number of Diet Cokes I would drink every day if I didn't think I drink too much Diet Coke
- 26- my oldest son's football jersey number (it seemed somehow significant that there are also 26 letters in the alphabet)
- 15- my younger son's football and basketball jersey numbers
- 5- the number of years I think I have been slicing (but it might be four!)
- 50ish- the number of poetry books I read when I was a CYBILS poetry judge this year
- 43- the page I'm on in GONE GIRL, my current adult read
- 0400- the hour I usually write (Have I mentioned I am a morning writer?)
And I still hadn't written my slice.
Today I did writing workshop with sixth grade, and fifth grade, and kindergarten.
Helped with crowd control at the school talent show
(I wanna know how some teachers get to sit on the stage and be judges and I end up in the balcony with the middle schoolers!)
Unloaded 40 boxes of snacks
from the back of my car.
And now it's 8:00 at night.
And I still haven't written my first slice.
Not really anyway.
I'm actually a morning writer.