Pages

Saturday, March 28, 2020

SLICE #28- Happy birthday Roo!

As people who have read my blog for any length of time know, I'm raising a service dog for Canine Partners of the Rockies. Rooney will live with me for about two years, and then if he passes all of his training (only 50% of the dogs actually do), he will become a mobility dog for someone in a wheelchair, or an autism dog. Here's a photo essay of our first year together. 


On May 26th, I picked this guy at from the airport. He had left California at 5 am, flown to Dallas, and then on to Denver.  He cried all the way home, then fell asleep in my arms. 



He was the greeter at CaPR's graduation when he had been here about two weeks. 
He lasted about ten minutes, then fell asleep.

He instantly decided Star, my 13-year-old Lab mix, was his new mama.

She's still his favorite!

He helped with a presentation at the Denver Country Club when he was about four months.
I sat on the curb outside and waited for him to come out. 

At the Scholastic Reading Summit!

He loves the Rockies!

Everybody into the pool!


Hanging out with his girlfriend, Olivia, and Auntie Val at the park.

He loves his babies, but he is a little rough, 
and they usually end up dismembered within a few weeks. 

First day of school!

Dog tired on Halloween!

Rooney loves shoes! I have to remember to close my closet because when he's bored, 
he grabs a shoe and heads out through the dog door!

Cuddling with A, his favorite seventh grade girlfriend in my office at work.
I wish I could show her face-- they adore each other!

November- First snow! 

Christmas- with a stuffie from his girlfriend, Nina, 
our night facility manager at work.

And somehow he has magically become this guy! 
Yesterday was Rooney's first birthday!
Happy birthday, Sweet Roo!



3 comments:

Unknown said...

All the love to Roo. What a joy he is!

Ramona said...

Loved this stroll through Rooney's year! He's captured my heart. And I'm not a dog person.

Elisabeth Ellington said...

Rooney is such a wonderful dog! I LOVE the photos with Star. I think it's hilarious that he just adored her so immediately. I am not sure a puppy was exactly in Star's plan for her twilight years, but they are so sweet together.