Pages

Friday, March 13, 2020

POETRY FRIDAY

So last night, I learned that my school district will be closed for the next three weeks. I'm not afraid of Corona. I am afraid for my kids. I'm afraid for my sixth graders being alone for days and weeks on end. Or alone with little brothers and sisters while their moms and dads go to work. I'm afraid of kids being hungry. I'm afraid of parents who are over stressed and worried about money being harsh with their kids. Mary Lee published a beautiful poem this morning. And then Parker Palmer shared Lynn Unger's poem "Pandemic."



Pandemic

What if you thought of it
as the Jews consider the Sabbath—
the most sacred of times?
Cease from travel.
Cease from buying and selling.
Give up, just for now,
on trying to make the world
different than it is.
Sing. Pray. Touch only those
to whom you commit your life.
Center down.
Read the rest of the poem here
Matt Esenwine, at Radio, Rhythm, and Rhyme is hosting Poetry Friday today.

11 comments:

Matt Forrest Esenwine said...

Very powerful poem - and necessary. Thanks for sharing this, Carol!

Carol Varsalona said...

Thank you for the amazing poem to read in these trying times, Carol.
These lines and so many others resonate with me:
Know that our lives
are in one another’s hands.
(Surely, that has come clear.)

Tabatha said...

Thank you for sharing this beautiful poem. I passed it along to my daughter, who is vulnerable because she is chronically ill, and she loved it. We have a lot of reasons to worry; "center down" is good advice.

mbhmaine said...

Oh, this poem is beautiful and important. Thank you so much for sharing it today. I will be sharing it with others, too.

Karen Eastlund said...

Lovely poem... thanks. I also read this today, which I appreciated:
https://www.leadingthemtotherock.com/2020/03/to-those-unexpectedly-homeschooling-due.html?spref=fb&fbclid=IwAR0UxrPap53eHtLG1G8Wo_yriQKsocnwfYLLRCc7lnlVnEBYjsnFl3FIPMg

Mary Lee said...

Thanks for posting this again here. It calms me. I have saved it to read again and again.

Hugs!

Linda B said...

It's so loving, and new to me, Carol. Yes, we are all connected & those who do not believe that need to be shaken to wake up to help everyone take care. Although they do not have the same problems, it has been a stressful time for my granddaughters, not quite understanding why this upheaval. Best wishes to you and your special students.

Ruth said...

I also appreciated Parker Palmer's share on Facebook! Thanks for sharing it here! Stay healthy.

Michelle Heidenrich Barnes said...

Uncertainty is difficult. Period. There's plenty of worry to go around for many, MANY reasons, but you named some really important ones, Carol. I just heard from a friend in Singapore how they have gone six weeks WITHOUT closing schools (only extracurriculars and athletics), but they have other strict measures in place that seem to be doing the trick— taking temps twice a day, NO visitors during the school day (including parents), and others. The poem you shared is one to take to heart.

Janice Scully said...

I worry about children being out of school, too. The poem is lovely and a reminder of what's important. My thoughts are with all the students and their teachers.

author amok said...

Poems give us comfort in times of difficulty. This one is so beautiful. I love the way that people are sharing it and finding comfort.