Pages

Friday, March 20, 2020

SLICE 20/31- I miss my kids!

I miss teaching.

I miss seeing my kids and reading to them and talking about books.

I miss seeing their faces light up when I tell them they did something well in their writing.

And how that same thing usually shows up the next time they write.

And how they point out that they did it again.

I miss hearing about their families and pets and music practices and sports teams.

I miss them.

I'm trying to stay connected.

Every two days, I email them on their school accounts. I am not sure how many of them are actually reading them, because not that many reply. When they do reply, I jump right on it, and send them back personal emails.

My teammate set up Zoom, then taught me how to do it. We plan on being there every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, until "real school," such as it is, starts again.

Today five kids joined us on Zoom. K didn't like seeing himself on camera and kept covering his face up with his hoodie. J only stayed for a few minutes, then left. Girl K did her makeup, including curling her eyelashes. Sweet B was very quiet, but stayed almost the whole time. And R taught us about his video games.

We met for about an hour. We all dragged our pets into the screen and compared pet stories. We talked about what we are reading. We played a drawing game. And made plans to get together on Monday.

It was so good to see them.

I miss my kids!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm feeling the same way, and your post about seeing them on Zoom makes me jealous! I'm supposed to start videoconferencing soon, and this post makes me more excited about it. I love how your descriptions of the kids on Zoom showed so much about their personalities.

Ramona said...

We had a zoom gathering tonight for our film club. It was better than I thought it might be.
I love the gift of time that you gave your students. Simple ways to be together and connect. I bet they're looking forward to Monday.