Pages

Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Haiku #9



I teach in an urban setting. More than 90% of our students, including K, receive free lunch. Nevertheless, their willingness to give never ceases to amaze me. Today, one of our first graders arrived at school almost an hour early. I happened to be passing the front door and let her in. K couldn't wait to unzip her backpack and show me that she had brought "all her money" to our student council campaign for cancer. I felt so ashamed of all I do not give.

"Widow's Mite"

Donation, twelve cents, 
clutched in torn Tinkerbell purse, 
She possesses such wealth. 

(c) Carol Wilcox, 2015

1 comment:

Mary Lee said...

Our children teach us daily to be better people. I wish the clown on the news could come and see the way we welcome our new friend from the lands he would ban.