Pages

Monday, April 11, 2016

POEM #11- BYGONES



I'm writing poetry this month with Mary Lee Hahn, Kevin Hodgson, Steve Peterson, and Carol Varsalona.

"Pa"
I'm grinning broad here leanin' 
against the bumper of the Chevy 
actually only a couple of hours before 
the hard rains drowned my young seedlings
that night i sat on the back porch 
sobbing like I did on the day my pa died.

what's  a 12-year-old boy 
s'posed to do without a pa?

the rivers on my cheeks
mixed with the rivers from the sky
and I couldn't decide whether 
I should sell the car and buy more seed
or pack the car and move to town
get a job with a real paycheck

what's a farmer
s'posed to do without a crop?

i'm still here,
me and my car.
we made it. 

another year.

(C) Carol Wilcox, 2016



1 comment:

Mary Lee said...

Isn't it fun to find the story behind the picture? You found a failed crop; I found a smashed bumper.