Pages

Saturday, November 28, 2015

I'M COOL- Kate and Jim McMullen


For years, though, the most important Christmas presents that I bought were the books I wrapped and put under the tree for my nephew, Gregory, and niece, Megan. I always knew that my presents would not be the favorites on Christmas morning, but I also know that at some point, later that day, or Christmas night, or maybe the day after Christmas, we would have a snuggle session, in which the books I had chosen figured prominently.

My niece and nephew are all grown now. I'm sad, because I know exactly what book I would give my nephew. I'M COOL, Kate and Jim McMullan's latest offering, features one of my nephew's favorite machines- a Zamboni (the machine that smoothes the ice rink). The story opens with a sports announcer, but is quickly taken over by the "blade-packing, ice-shaving, snow-eating, water-spraying, slush-slurping, towel-dragging, triple-tank truck." 

In addition to the great voice, machine loving kids are going to love the vocabulary and  information in this book. Listen to this page:
Blade?
SHAVE THE ICE---
VZZZZZZT!
AND MAKE IT SNOW. 
Level auger?
SPIN SNOW TO CENTER. 
Tall auger?
WHIRL I T UP 
Paddle?
SHOOT IT INT MY VELL
OF A SNOW TANK!
Definitely a book to put in your basket as you are shopping this year!

Review copy provided by publisher.

No comments: