Pages

Friday, November 23, 2012

POETRY FRIDAY

Image from THE YOUNG TURKS

It's Black Friday. I'm not going shopping, instead, I plan on spending the day in my backyard, raking leaves and enjoying the glorious fall weather. Actually, I don't plan on spending a lot of time shopping this year at all (probably much to my sons' consternation), because quite simply, we have enough. Early this week, I saw this image on a friend's Facebook page. When I googled it, I found out this is one of a series of similar images- I don't know the story behind them, but I'm thinking about sending one to my boys each day during the Advent season. I also came across this poem on YOUR DAILY POEM, which is one of my all-time favorite poetry websites.


"Wealthy" 
by Bruce Dethlefsen
After my reading
a very serious sixth grade girl
asked me if I was wealthy
well I said I have twenty-two
dollars in my wallet right now
and my pickup truck has two hundred
thirty-five thousand miles on it…
Read the rest of the poem at Your Daily Poem.

Mary Lee is hosting Poetry Friday (and making 50 bags of Christmas candy, and reading, and doing school work, and sewing on buttons, not to mention recovering from a week in Las Vegas at NCTE).

Happy Friday!

8 comments:

Nanc said...

We are wealthy in so many, many ways. Happy Day after Thanksgiving. I'm determined not to fall in the trap this year either. xo nanc

Linda B said...

Hi Carol, thanks for the offer to pack a box. I will definitely be in town now, & closer probably to you, & to TC-so let's try to have coffee at least over the holidays. I see the daily poems too, & this one is now in the writers notebook. We did NOT shop either, & now that I'm cleaning out, I definitely know I don't need a thing. Finally, after watching my 15 month old granddaughter playing in & out of empty boxes all day long today, I know that she just needs--another box!

Ruth said...

Yes, we are so wealthy. Thanks for the reminder and the poem.

GatheringBooks said...

Hi Carol, what a beautiful message. Makes one reflect on the things that make our lives a little bit 'richer' each day - and the things we value. :)

Mary Lee said...

Wow. That image burns with the truth.

This is the year we are going to give our friends a donation to a cause instead of more STUFF.

laurasalas said...

I feel very rich! This was one of my favorite ydp poems. Thanks for the second read:>)

Carol said...

Linda,
I would love to meet for coffee any day. I will be home all break.

Mary Lee, I have been giving donations in honor of people for the last few years. I just can't justify giving people more stuff.

And Laura, I agree with you, this poem is definitely a keeper. I love YDP- the poems just feel so accessible.

Carol said...

Linda,
I would love to meet for coffee any day. I will be home all break.

Mary Lee, I have been giving donations in honor of people for the last few years. I just can't justify giving people more stuff.

And Laura, I agree with you, this poem is definitely a keeper. I love YDP- the poems just feel so accessible.