Pages

Friday, May 6, 2011

POETRY FRIDAY

Untitled
William Ross Wallace

They say that man is mighty
He governs land and sea
He wields a mighty spectre,
O'er lesser powers that be,
But a mightier power and stronger
Man from his throne has hurled,
For the hand that rocks the cradle,
Is the hand that rocks the world.

I spent a good chunk of yesterday in first grade, helping children prepare gift poems for Mother's Day. Not sure we have any future Mary Olivers, but I think some moms are going to be really happy on Sunday.

My Mom

My mom looks beautiful

My mom feels like smooth skin

My mom smells like perfume

My mom sounds like music

My mom dances like crazy!

KH


My Mom

My mom looks like candy.

She smells like mint.

She feels like gummy bears.

She likes cherries.

DR


My Mom

My mom

Looks like an angel

Sounds like a kitten

Feels like a marshmallow

And smells like green beans.

My mom is a cook.

My mom is an artist.

My mom is nice.

I love my mom.

By DS


Mom

I know she looks beautiful

I know she smiles all the time

I know she sounds fun

I know she feels soft like a bed

And she smells like chicken soup

I know my mom.

ECR


“My Mom”

My mom looks like a sweet teddy bear to me;

My mom feels like a soft bird when she hugs me.

My mom smells like a purple rose.

My mom has a voice like music.

I feel like I have more company

when I’m with her.

I love my mom.

By GH

My Mom

She has dark hair like chocolate,

Her hugs make me feel happy and surprised,

Her hugs protect me.

She is sometimes soft

And sometimes loud

And sometimes funny.

My mom loves me

and I love my mom.

By AB


My Mom

My mom looks like a cupcake

because she is pretty.

My mom feels soft like marshmallows.

My mom smells like strawberry jam.

My mom sounds like singing birds.

My mom makes me feel good.

I love my mom.

By MB


My Mom

My mom is skinny and soft.

My mom’s voice sounds like a flute.

She loves me.

She is my mom.

By JSO

Poetry Friday is at THE FAMILY BOOKSHELF (formerly Scrub-A-Dub Tub)

2 comments:

Mary Lee said...

These poems helped me go back to the time when my love for my mom was pure and uncomplicated. As simple as a hug, as sure as a hot breakfast, as perfect as the rainbow she pointed to out the kitchen window after rain.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

I like the one that says sometimes soft and sometimes loud. Hugs to make happy, surprise and protect. Lots of nuance in that one! I am sure all these mothers love getting their poems.