Pages

Friday, April 3, 2009

POETRY FRIDAY



Denver is supposed to get a foot of snow tonight and tomorrow (the biggest storm we have had in an unusally snowless winter!). In honor of that, a spring poem, from one of my all-time favorite poets, Kristine O'Connell George. This poem comes from OLD ELM SPEAKS: TREE POEMS, but she has tons of other terrific poetry books.

Bud
A tiny velveteen satchel
the color of pale cream
is perched on the tip
of this bare branch.

Snap open the clasp--
and you will find,
inside this tiny valise,
one rolled and folded
neatly packed

leaf
Kristine O'Connell George

POETRY FRIDAY is at ayuddha.net.
Next Friday, it will be right here!

4 comments:

Yat-Yee said...

"Velveteen satchel" Love it. Such a hope-filled poem.

My daughter is supposed to have a sports thing at Denver tomorrow and I am not sure we should make that drive. Although looking outside now, nobody would think that we'll be getting that kind of snow. Gotta love Colorado!

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Oh boy I hope you are doing ok with all that snow! We have a terrific wind this morning but I hope it is going to be warm. I want to see my cherry blossoms - not more snow!

This is the perfect poem for these days when the leaves are just about to pop around here. Thanks for sharing it!

Mary Lee said...

One of my favorite poems, too! Have fun in the snow (HAH!!)

Kelly Polark said...

I love this poem! I'm tired of snow! Bring on the budding leaves!