Pages

Saturday, February 2, 2008

CASTLE CORONA by Sharon Creech

Several days ago, I wrote about how I was slogging my way through CASTLE CORONA. Finally finished it yesterday. Was it a typical high quality Sharon Creech novel? Absolutely. Amy I glad I read it? Yeah, I think so. Would I read it aloud to kids? Yes, if I was going to read the fairytale-ish genre book to third/fourth graders. It's definitely well done, and has interesting twists and turns. I have to admit, though, that I didn't love the book. Fantasy is just not my favorite genre.

In another blog I read this week, the author wrote about how she struggled through THE HOBBIT this year, because it was one of her husband's favorite books. He has been asking her for more than twenty years to read it, so she finally did. She finished it, and even put it on the syllabus for a college course she is reading, but said she isn't rushing out to pick up LORD OF THE RINGS.

As a teacher, I think it's really important to be widely read, to know lots and lots of different books, so that you can put the right book into a kid's hands at the right time. I will continue, then, to read in this genre. I'm planning to read THE LIGHTNING THIEF very soon.

At the same time, I also think it's important to be honest with kids. I think it's ok to tell them that fantasy is not my favorite genre, that I read it only occasionally, that as much as I read, I have not finished even book two of the Harry Potter series.

I want to be an adult who shares my real reading life with kids, not one who lies about the reading life she thinks she should have.

No comments: