Pages

Thursday, March 10, 2011

SLICE OF LIFE #9


8:30 on Thursday night. Son #2 is playing video games in his room. I haven't heard from Son #1 in a while, so I wander back to check on him. He is laying on his bed.

"What do you need?" he growls when I walk in the door.

"I just wanted to see what you were doing," I respond, trying to summon up my sweetest June Cleaver voice.

"Nothing. I'm doing nothing. Just laying here. Can you please just shut my door?"

I return to my schoolwork. Five minutes later, same son, he of the back bedroom, can you just leave me alone, comes around the corner.

"Can we run to Walgreens real quick tonight?" Inwardly I groan, imagining some forgotten school project, with a night of poster board and glue looming on my horizon.

"For what?" I ask, trying to sound calm.

"I need hair dye. I want to dye a streak in the front. And K wants to dye his tips."

This is a new one. "You want to dye your hair? What color? Why?"

"Blonde. Cuz it would look so cool. There's a rapper. See? His name is Wiz Khalifa." Son #1 turns his phone so that I can see the rapper.

"So you think I need to go to Walgreen's right now so you can buy hair dye? Didn't you just tell me to leave you alone?"

"Well, yeah, but that was because you were being annoying. I'm sorry. But sometimes you are kind of annoying…"

It seems like someone wrote a book, LEAVE ME ALONE, BUT FIRST CAN YOU DRIVE ME TO THE MALL? I think I need that book!

No comments: