Pages

Thursday, March 24, 2011

SLICE #24- I WISH I WAS ONE OF THOSE MOTHERS

I wish I was one of those mothers.
The kind that can find stuff--
Birth certificates,
adoption papers,
social security cards.
I try hard to stay organized.
I really do.
I try to keep everything in a special folder,
in a special place.
But inevitably,
when I go looking for it,
the one thing we need
is not there.
And I have to go on a mad search
Which usually last several days,
And consumes many hours,
And involves digging frantically
Through pockets,
and drawers,
and boxes,
and file cabinets.
And greatly annoys my sons
especially the organized one.
I really wish I was one of those mothers,
you know,
the organized ones.

2 comments:

Linda B said...

It always looks greener on the other side, you know. I imagine you are many other good things-just look. But-I like the way you said this in a poem. It was nice to read.

Ruth said...

Me too!
Your poem is great--it really works. The rhythms of the language fit perfectly.