Pages

Thursday, March 17, 2011

SLICE OF LIFE #16- I was late to class because of the bomb thing.


As the mother of two (noncommunicative) teenage boys, I spend a lot of time honing my inferencing skills. Take yesterday, for instance.

"You are going to get an attendance call about math class," says my son in an after school phone call. "But I really didn't miss. I was just late because I was in the dean's getting searched."

"You were in the dean's getting searched??? FOR WHAT?"

"Because of the bomb thing."

"Because of the BOMB THING?"

"Yeah, you know the bomb thing from yesterday?" (OK, this, I do know about because there was an automated phone call from the school).

"Yeah, they searched everybody. And I had to go to the dean to get my backpack searched."

"Really? WHY? Do they think YOU are involved in the bomb thing?"

My son is indignant. "NO. Of course not. I'm trying to play football."

"Well then why did you have to go to the dean and be searched?"

"I don't know. But a bunch of people did. And I was late to math. And you are going to get a call. OK, I gotta go."

And with that, he hangs up. I call to talk to other son. Yes, he was searched too. No he didn't have to go to the dean. Yes, some kids did have to go to the dean to be searched. No, he doesn't know why his brother was one of them.

I guess I will be calling the dean…

7 comments:

Ruth Ayres said...

I'm chuckling. I love the round-about nature of your slice, which I'm sure is exactly how you are feeling with the two conversations. Perseverance, right?
Ruth

elsie said...

This reminds me of the conversation between Jimmy and his mom from "The Day Jimmy's Boa Ate the Wash." Loved eavesdropping in on your conversation.

Lisa said...

And my question is: What does trying to play football have to do with it? My husband has never really outgrown this kind of teen-boy communication. He is always leaving out important chunks of information.

Terje said...

I would give credit to your son for calling and giving you a warning.

Linda B said...

Well, with our imaginations running wild. . . You used such a well balanced way of giving real information, then showing what you were told. Even with students (like our own children) the stories come parenthetically, don't they?

MaryHelen said...

The back and forth conversation had me reading on. Love your ending. Oh to have quiet, normal, low key lives - I forgot. We're moms. Hope it works out. I appreciate your posts. From the heart. MaryHelen

Mary Lee said...

Never a dull moment for you, sistah!