Pages

Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Slice #30- Pushing myself as a reader...

 

I am a reader. 

I read a lot.

Realistic fiction. Love it. Historical fiction. Love it. Biographies. Same. As long as they are not too long. Self help books. Not too long and a topic I am interested in. Mysteries. Sure,  especially on a beach.

Fantasy. No. No. No. No. No. I hate it.  Almost never read it. 

Fortunately or unfortunately, this year my sixth graders LOVE fantasy. And so, in an effort to keep up with them, and to have books to recommend, I have been trying to read more fantasy. I have made it through two and a half Percy Jackson books. And recently I read AMARI AND THE NIGHT BROTHERS by debut author, B.B. Alston. And I loved it.

Amari Peters is about the age of my sixth graders. When the book opens, she is about to be thrown out of the exclusive Jefferson Academy, where her older brother Quinton also attended. Amari is plenty capable academically, but she can't handle the constant harassment and ongoing bullying.  Amari, however, has other things on her mind. Quinton has disappeared. The police and other people think he is dead, but Amari is sure he is not. When she receives an invitation, by way of a ticking briefcase she finds in her closet, to camp at the Supernatural Bureau of Affairs, she jumps at the chance to hunt for her brother. She is not prepared, however, for the supernatural adventures and creatures she encounters. 

I loved Amari. I loved the teenage drama and friendships and angst. I loved watching Amari grow into herself. And I loved the ending. So, so, great! I'm excited to go back to school next week and pass this book onto one of my sixth graders. And I can't wait until September when the next book in this series comes out.

Maybe I really do like fantasy...

5 comments:

Ramona said...

So good to hear your endorsement of Amari and the Night Brothers. I'm not much of a fantasy fan, except for Harry Potter, but you are the second friend to recommend this book. Adding it to my list.

onathought.com said...

I haven't read this -- Yet! Thanks for posting about it. I really love how you pushed yourself to read something you aren't naturally drawn to! Lucky students!

Jean said...

On your recommendation, Molly and I will be adding Amari to our TBR. I love MG books especially. Just read Pax Goes Home. Tugged big time on the heart strings. Fantasy isn't my fav, but I have loved Percy and Harry. And so do kids!!!

Laura Benson said...

So great to gain these insights and recs for fantasy, Carol. You are opening doors for us again xox

Trina Bartel said...

I love that you pushed yourself to read something new. Your reading habits sound so similar to mine! I find that sometimes those are the best reading surprises!