Pages

Friday, March 11, 2022

Slice #11- Two Years Ago Today

 

I spent most of today re-living a day two years ago. 

Two years ago today, I hurriedly searched the internet for information about the strange virus that was closing down our schools. I wanted to be able to talk knowledgeably with my sixth graders. 

Two years ago today, I disassembled a computer cart, because all of my students needed to take home their computers and chargers, for what we thought would be a week or two. 

Two years ago today, I grabbed kids' favorite books from my classroom library and passed out stacks to my students. I wanted them to have plenty to read for the two or three weeks that they would be gone. 

Two years ago today, I took my students to the supply closet and offered paper, pencils, spiral notebooks, crayons, markers, and anything else they might need. 

Two years ago today, I hugged my students goodbye, made them promise to read, and offered my phone number, having no idea that we would not return to our building for almost a year.

Two years ago, I had no idea that normal would never be the same again. 

2 comments:

Whitney said...

It's hard to believe that it has been two years, isn't it? I miss my little hardworking 6th graders from that year, and the sense of normality that disappeared so quickly.

Elisa said...

Two years ago today feels like a lifetime away. Thank you for documenting your experience here.