Pages

Thursday, March 3, 2016

Slice #3- I've Got That Losing Feeling


OK, I'm just going to admit it right up front.

I've got that losing feeling.

I'm pretty creative.
And pretty unorganized.
As long as life is reasonable,
I can manage, pretty much,
to keep track of everything.

But when I get a little too tired,
or a little too stressed,
My life loses any semblance of order

And I get that losing feeling.

In the last month, I have lost:
     - my drivers' license
     - my debit card (twice)
    - a  stack of graded fourth grade essays,
    - a library book
    - and the dog's leash.
 
Today I lost my water bottle.
Oh, and also my laptop computer.
I work at a K-8 school.
The middle school kids at my school
are usually pretty mellow.
They definitely have their moments
but for the most part,
they are pretty good.

That hasn't been true
for the last two weeks.
These absolutely weeks
they have been absolutely crazy.

I think it's partly Spring,
and partly hormones
and partly the fact
that one of their teachers
has been in Peru
for the past two weeks
because her mother is dying.

And they are crazy.

This afternoon we had Reading Rocket
(known in my day as the bookmobile).
I went upstairs to get the middle schoolers.
I was walking down the hall
when the sixth grade door burst open
and two  boys
burst out the door,
followed by one of our terrific young teachers.
The boys stomped down the hall
and plopped themselves at a table
we use for writing conferences and small groups.
I have a few more strategies in my tool box
so I followed the group back down the hall.

An hour later, the situation was over.
I was preparing for a meeting
and went to pick my computer.
And I suddenly realized
that I had absolutely no idea
where I had left my computer
or my water bottle.
I was more worried about my computer.

I backtracked my steps-
the auditorium
the library,
the first grade,
the cafeteria
the computer was no where to be found.
I spent a frantic hour looking
and looking and looking

And then the secretary called me.
The assistant principal had found
my computer in the library.
She had left it in the office.
My heart, which had been beating
 frantically for  an hour,
slowed a little.

I've got that losing feeling.
And I hate it.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Loved your adventure. I think it's that time of year where we all tend to run a little lost, on empty, or chaotic. Just keep calm, and move on Spring break will be here shortly.

Unknown said...

Loved your adventure. I think it's that time of year where we all tend to run a little lost, on empty, or chaotic. Just keep calm, and move on Spring break will be here shortly.
Janie

Linda B said...

I love your term, that "losing feeling", Carol. We often called it "scrambled brains", never knowing where something needed is! I kind of thought you were going to write about the election (smile), and am very glad you found the computer.

Anne D said...

Like you, I am prone to losing things. Almost everything you list, I too have lost at one time or another! I have locked myself out of the house so often for forgetting or losing the keys, that I now don't leave without chanting a list of things I can't leave without (keys, wallet, phone, check!) There are so many people and situations to keep track of during the day, that keeping track of THINGS is really hard work!

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you found your computer! I hope your "losing feeling" gets lost and doesn't come back!! Reading your post made me smile. Thank you!!

elsie said...

Thank goodness the computer was safe! It seems that we all go through a losing period, you've lost enough, so time to move on to that found it feeling!

Franki said...

Thought of you when I saw this. #storyofmylifetoo http://www.jumblejoy.com/funny-women-sing-about-their-problems?utm_content=buffer2a052&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=jumblejoy.com&utm_campaign=buffer