Pages

Friday, May 18, 2012

Savor.
That is what I am trying to do
right now.

At home.
Savor.

Prom.
Graduation.
Celebrations. 
We have travelled far.
And it's time to enjoy the view. 


Savor.
That is what I am trying to do
right now.
At school. 
Savor.
Readers.
Writers. 
Explorers.
We have travelled far.
And it's time to enjoy the view. 

Savor. 

But it's also 
the end of the school year
which is always a kind of 
ohmygoshtoofastdrowninginpaper
wheredidIputthatfolder
deadlinewhatdeadline
kind of time.


And it's hard to
be still and
savor.

I googled "Poems- Stillness" and came across this website.
Lots of really great poems.
Here are two of my favorites.

***********

What To Remember When Waking

by David Whyte

In that first hardly noticed moment in which you wake,
coming back to this life from the other
more secret, moveable and frighteningly honest world
where everything began,
there is a small opening into the new day
which closes the moment you begin your plans.
**********************

Morning

by Mary Oliver

Salt shining behind its glass cylinder.
Mild in a blue bowl. The yellow linoleum.
The cat stretching her black body from the pillow…
I stand in the cold kitchen, bowing down to her.
I stand in the cold kitchen, everything wonderful around me.



Katya is hosting Poetry Friday.

11 comments:

Katya said...

It's hard to slow down and savor life when you feel like you can't keep your nose above the water, isn't it.

Author Amok said...

Hi, Carol. Congratulations to your family on the new graduate! Thanks for today's poems. I am doing what I can to balance the end of school year rush with some quiet. (I loved the smooshed line of your poem. Yes, that is how teachers are feeling right now!)

jama said...

Hope you enjoy many beautiful moments of stillness at this busy time of year. Love the poems!

Jim Hill said...

Savor. I'll have to remember to do that if this treadmill ever slows down!

Nice work, I slowed down and savored it.

Ruth said...

"Everything wonderful around me." Now THERE's a moment to savor.

Linda B said...

I enjoyed all the poems, Carol, & that site seems to have many wonderful ones. But, I love also that you wrote your own, about your time, right now, that you are savoring. You are so right, time not to plan any more, just savor. Thanks!

Tabatha said...

Thanks, Carol! We've been in "crisis mode" pretty often lately, and switching to "savoring mode" would be a great idea! (PS I agree with Laura about the smooshed line)

Mary Lee said...

This post rings home with me!

Karen said...

I love the idea of savoring -- such an important word to remember when life gets so fast-paced. We all need to stop and savor experiences more deeply.
Congratulations on your graduate!

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Yes. Thank you so much for this post. LOVE the Mary Oliver one especially.

Nanc said...

I'm telling everyone about your story...it is one that I savor...it is about your energy and love. I totally connect and love the last lines without any spaces. It was very clever. xo nanc