Pages

Monday, May 7, 2012

IT'S MONDAY! WHAT ARE YOU READING?

If you came over from TEACH MENTOR TEXTS, please know that I am having  technical difficulties today. I have no idea why, but Mr. Linky is taking everyone to a post that is six weeks old. I actually have a new post about reading I have done this week. You can follow that link or cut and paste below. Sorry about the mix up.

http://www.carolwscorner.blogspot.com/2012/06/its-monday-what-are-you-reading.html

I think I read a fair amount. Or at least I think I read a fair amount until I read everyone else's IT'S MONDAY, WHAT ARE YOU READING posts at TEACH MENTOR TEXTS. Which, if I am really honest, tend to make me feel totally discouraged. Because I think I have had a pretty good reading week if I have read at least one novel. And some people read one a day! Holy cow! In the summer I get more read, but in the winter, I just kind of plod along. Anyway, here is what I read this week.

Anne Lamott has been one of my favorite memoir authors for many years, starting with OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS, then TRAVELING MERCIES, and PLAN B. (I don't like her fiction nearly as much). OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS, the first Lamott novel that I read is about Lamott's first year as a single mom.  In SOME ASSEMBLY REQUIRED, Lamott's son, Sam, who was the baby in OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS, is now nineteen, and has a son of his own. ASSEMBLY chronicles Lamott's first year as a grandmother.

SOME ASSEMBLY REQUIRED came out a month or so ago, so when I got a gift certificate to Barnes and Noble, I knew exactly what book I wanted to buy. Most of Lamott's memoir books are shortish, stand alone chapters, which I tend to get through pretty quickly. This one is actually sequential, and it's taking me a little longer I'm about three-fourths of the way through the book right now. I will probably post about the book when I finish it later this week.

I also read GLORY BE, a middle grade historical fiction novel about life in the segregated south during the Civil Rights movement. I posted about that yesterday. Next, I am planning to read PENNIES FROM HEAVEN by Jennifer Holm and DEAD END IN NORVELT. I got all three of those at the Scholastic Warehouse Sale on Saturday.

Happy reading!

12 comments:

Katherine Sokolowski said...

Carol, I have great reading weeks during the school year and then weeks where I wonder what happen, I didn't read much. It depends on my schedule and my mood. :) Love Annie Lamott. This looks like a good one.

Linda B said...

Hi Carol! I read your Glory Be review & it does sound good. I have it, but haven't gotten to it yet. I didn't know about the La Mott memoir books, just the fiction & will look up the grandmother one. Thanks for telling about them. Since they are stand alone chapters, maybe it is a good one to download?

Hannahlily said...

I know it's so easy to feel bad when you see how many books other people who participate in the "It's Monday, What are You Reading" posts; the same thing happens to me! I just try to remember that as long as I'm reading, I'm doing a good thing and everybody reads at their own pace! Reading should be fun, not something that makes me feel guilty!
I really want to read Glory Be. Penny from Heaven and Dead End in Norvelt are both SOOOO good!

Tara @ A Teaching Life said...

I just read your review for "Glory" - it sounds like a great addition to my class library. Thank you!

Teacher said...

Oh, don't be discouraged seeing what other people read! :)

I just enjoy seeing the book choices, descriptions, and lists from other readers.

I had a busy week and took advantage of great weather so my book list is close to zero this week. I am still enjoying seeing what's been keeping other prolific (and modest) readers busy this week. Thanks for sharing. :)

Betsy Hubbard said...

I know what you mean, I too wish I could find the time (or motivation) to read more. I hope summer will find me reading and I may even add some of your suggestions to my summer list!

Jennifer Fountain said...

Don't be discouraged! The fact that we're reading period should be celebrated :) (But I know how you feel...I've been there as well!)

I've had Dead End in Norvelt on my TBR for a while, just haven't gotten around to it. I added Glory Be to my list thanks to talk on Twitter.

Happy reading this week!
(P.S. My wordpress login isn't working, but feel free to visit me at fountainreflections.wordpress.com!)

Kellee said...

I learned a while ago that I cannot compare myself to others. Whenever I start doing it, I have to remember that everyone's life is different. And reading is FUN and you fit the fun in where you can :) I use Mondays more to find new books I want to read.

I am excited about my Scholastic Warehouse Sale- I go next Saturday. I always get some great deals.

Happy reading this week! :)

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

I, too, am a Annie Lamott fan. I'll look for her new book is in the library.

Tara @ A Teaching Life said...

I know what you mean about being daunted by what others manage to read...well, summer is here at last and now I can catch up. Loved your review of Glory Be...and how awesome that the author commented right away!

Linda B said...

I still have Glory Be & need to read it! I think I read much, but a lot of blogs isn't the same as a book, & that's where some of the time goes. I loved Operating Instructions, haven't read the others, but I'll look for this new one. Lamott does know how to tell stories, doesn't she? Thanks Carol.

Kellee said...

Please don't ever be discouraged. We all read at different paces and read different amounts. And I read so much less during the school year.

And please look at Hannahlily's comment- she has it right :)

I am going to read Dead End in Norvelt this week hopefully too- we'll have to compare notes.

Happy reading this week! :)