Pages

Thursday, April 19, 2018

POEM #19- Blueberry Pie Elf


When I was a little girl, my mom took us to the bookmobile parked at a nearby shopping center every single week. I couldn't wait to go. I'd check out as many books as my library card would allow, and carry my treasures home. I would spend the rest of the day and probably most of the week, simply reading.

My sisters read very differently. My middle sister did not read much at all. My youngest sister read, but she had one book, THE BLUEBERRY PIE ELF, that she read over and over again, for many, many months. When we got to be adults, I found that book online, and gave it to her for Christmas one year.

Today is my sister's birthday. This poem is for her.


"Blueberry Pie Elf"

Monday afternoon.
I couldn't wait
to clamber aboard
the bookmobile
to exchange
my teetering pile
for another million treasures. 

My sister,
a much more
faithful reader.
Every week,
she'd climb the stairs
with her paltry pile,
two or three books at most
and proceed directly
down the narrow aisle
to the checkout desk.
She had to know, for sure, that
Elmer, the blueberry pie elf,
was coming home
with her again,
before she would check out
anything else.

She was a one book kind of gal.

(C) Carol Wilcox, 2018



2 comments:

Mary Lee said...

I had a handful of books that I re-read over and over again as a kid, so I can kind of relate. Great memories...wonderful gift to write a poem for your sister!

Glenda Funk said...

Somehow I missed this poem last Thursday. I wish I'd seen it sooner. My sister's birthday was Friday. We've had a rough time in our relationship the past few years, but we did have a good chat Friday. I've wanted to write a poem for her but could not think of anything to say--until reading your poem. Now I am inspired.

Specific to your poem: I love your book memories, and reading about the Blueberry Pie Elf reminds me that no matter how often we read the same book, the experience offers something new each time. It's fabulous that you found the book for your sister. What a lovely gift. I hope you gave her this poem, too.