Pages

Monday, April 16, 2018

Poem #16- Taps




Today, I decided to try something completely different. A few years ago I encountered a form that was new to me. Bonnie, who blogs at blkdrama.wordpress.com is a March slicer. She posted a poetry form called an arun, which she learned from another slicer, Stacie, who blogged at girlgriot.wordpress.com.  An arun is a fifteen-line poem, written in three sets of five lines. Each set of five lines follows the same syllable structure: starting with one syllable and increasing by one (1/2/3/4/5 — 3x). Today's poem is an arun, written in honor of one of my students, a soccer goalie who just couldn't  leave until she finished the last few pages of her book. 

"Taps"

day
ends in
a concert 
of banging chairs
and slamming lockers

you 
turn page
after page
do not notice
room has gone silent

eyes
linger
on last words
soccer practice
will just have to wait

(C) Carol Wilcox,2018

5 comments:

Ramona said...

I love this form and haven't used it for awhile! I can hear the"concert of banging chairs and slamming lockers" and see your lone student who does "not notice room has gone silent." Perfect capture of a delightful moment "as eyes linger on last words."

Elisabeth Ellington said...

Another new to me form! Hooray! Definitely wanting to try this sometime this month.

Cathy said...

That looks like a fun way to write. I may have to give that a try. I think we all hope to have readers like that in our classrooms.

Cathy

Mary Lee said...

I love this girl goalie who is the kind of reader I am -- when you gotta finish, you gotta finish!!

Glenda Funk said...

My favorite thing about this poem is its appearance on the page. It has the effect of taps and the marching at the end of the day. It's really comforting.