Pages

Friday, March 16, 2018

Slice #16- Slicing and Poetry Friday

Spring is probably my favorite season. And daffodils are one of my favorite parts of that season.
We don't have any daffodils in Colorado yet, but  the crocuses are up, so I suspect within the next week or so, they daffodils will begin appearing. 

Every spring, I share one of my favorite poems, "Daffodils," by Ralph Fletcher. Ralph's poem first appeared in his book, ORDINARY THINGS: POEMS FROM A WALK IN EARLY SPRING. I was really surprised to discover that this book was published in 1997,  I would have said it was about ten years old. I guess then, that it's an oldie but a goodie, but it's definitely worth adding to any poetry collection for kids if you can find it. 



"Daffodils"

They put on
a little show
simply by being
so yellow.

Their stems
darkly green
against the
faded brown barn.

Ralph Fletcher
from Ordinary Things: Poems from a Walk in Early Spring




This year, I decided to put my own twist on Ralph's poem. I have been watching people write "Golden Shovel" poems, where you lift a line from another poem,  and then use the words from that line to form the last word of each line of a new poem. I decided to try it with daffodils. Not sure I was all that successful, but at least I can say I tried.

"Daffodils"
Spring begins when they 
flounce onto the stage, capricious ballerinas who put 
fluffy golden tutus on
over green leotard stems, then twirl a 
quick pirouette, a dancy little 
preview of upcoming redpinkpurple summer show.
Eyes, tired of winter's whitebrowngray simply 
stop, overcome by
spring ballerina being
bold, forthcomings and so 
very yellow.

(C) Carol Wilcox, 2018

Fellow Coloradoan, Linda Baie, is hosting Poetry Friday today. 

You can read more slices at Two Writing Teachers

16 comments:

Lisa-Beth Lovero said...

I think you were successful! I love the imagery of the ballerinas

Carol Varsalona said...

Congratulations, Carol. You completed your golden shovel with a festive spring theme.

Linda B said...

I saw my first one this afternoon, at last, Carol, and "so very yellow" in the midst of all that "whitebrowngray". I love the metaphor of dance you used with your golden shovel! And I do love Fletcher's poem too. I imagine there could be a book full of daffodil poems, don't you?

jone said...

Love! Love! Love! Brava. I think Ralph would be proud to read this. This stood out and it struck me as perfect whitebrowngray

Diane Anderson said...

Love your golden shovel... trying to find my perfect line and work up the nerve to try it. I like those new colors you created! And fancy little preview.

Diane Anderson said...

Dancy... spellcheck changed the word!

Tara said...

What a fabulous Golden Shovel, Carol! I had not thought of Ralph's book in a long time, now I think I will try this poetry exercise with my students the first week of Spring - thank you.

Ramona said...

Oh, Carol, what a simply gorgeous poem! I'm in aw of your facility with this form. I love the way you used redpinkpurple and whitebrowngray. I'm with Jone. I think Ralph Fletcher would love this.

Ramona said...

awe, not aw

Linda said...

Your poem is lovely! I've been a huge fan of Ralph Fletcher's writing since I first hear him present to a group of teachers over twenty years ago. Thank you for reminding me to reread Ordinary Things!

Tamara said...

What a gorgeous poem! Now I will always think of the daffodils as spring ballerinas being bold. It’s lovely, just like the daffodil that appeared in my yard today! I’m wondering if you’ve come across one yet.

Whispers from the Ridge said...

Well done, Carol! Such a wonderful image of spring dancing around like a ballerina. I am ready for more spring performances!

Rebecca Herzog said...

I love your Golden Shovel. I am trying to gather the courage to give one a go. Well done.

Michelle Kogan said...

Beautiful spring daffodil poem Carol, it flows effortlessly, thanks!

Kay said...

Definitely successful with your golden shovel! I love the image of daffodils as ballerinas. It reminds me of Wordsworth's poem on Daffodils.

Mary Lee said...

LOVELOVELOVE your ballerina daffodils! I'll never look at them the same way!