Pages

Wednesday, March 1, 2017

SLICE #1- WHAT'S MY WHY?

A week or so ago, I mentioned that I am going to Weight Watchers. I go to the meetings on Saturday mornings at 7:30. The ritual is the same every week. I walk in, starving to death, little blue weigh in book in hand. I look at the Weight Watcher products, and try to decide whether a scale or special measuring spoons, or a $7 box of Vanilla Smoothie Mix is really worth the investment. Most of the time, I stay for the meetings.  The leader, Cheri, might have been a standup comedian in a previous life and is brutally honest about her own weight loss struggles and slip-ups, which is probably why I really like her.

Every week Cheri gives a little pep talk. Last week's pep talk was entitled "What's Your Why?" Why are you trying to lose weight? People had lots of different answers- for their health, getting married, for their kids, so they can wear bathing suits this summer, etc. I think my major reason has to do with control. There are a million things going on in my life that I can't control, or haven't yet taken control of anyway; but my weight, developing healthier eating habits, and working on my writing, is an area I actually can do something about.

I've been thinking a lot about "What's My Why?" as I start March Slice of Life for what I think might be the seventh time, wondering, as I always do, whether I will really be able to pull this off.

There are a lot of reasons not to slice this year.  I have a full time (60 hour per week plus) job. We have a really difficult and unusual situation going on at work right now that is sapping every bit of emotional energy I can muster and leaving me wishing for bed at 7 every night.  I'm teaching a class for our ELA (English Language Acquisition) Department-- it's huge, 31 students, and I'm way behind in responding to their work. I'm pretty much in complete and total mother fail right now.

And yet I will slice. Or at least I will try to slice, because I think I live better when I slice. I pay closer attention to my own life, because I know I will need to put something down on paper. When I am writing, and working on getting better at writing, I'm a better teacher of writing. I've "met" lots of really nice people, all over the world, through Slice of Life. Some of those people write all year long, and I connect with them most Tuesdays.  Other people just write in March, and it's fun to reconnect with them each year. I love getting comments and feedback on my writing.

And so I begin. Not sure I can do all 31 days. But I'm at least going to try.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your why and that despite all that you have going on, you are continuing to slice. Your reasons are similar to mine. I'm also in year seven and love catching up with my slicing friends all over the world!! Good luck to you this year. I look forward to reading more of your slices. ��
Aggiekesler.wordpress.com

Jess said...

This is my first challenge and your post is my first read. It was just what I needed, to know I am not alone in my anxious feelings about whether or not I can pull this off. Life is full, but your post reminded me of how this challenge will slow me down to notice more. Good luck to you!

Linda B said...

Love seeing you back, Carol, and that you found a great question for this SOLC beginning: "Where's my why?" I imagine all of us have answers to that question, and like in your meeting, different ones. Great slice to begin!

Elisabeth Ellington said...

"I live better when I slice." My favorite line from the many slices I read this morning, hoping to get inspired to write mine and to commit to this challenge once again. That's really it. I live better when I write. I haven't been writing--and I wonder why my quality of life suffers! So glad you're slicing again--and I'm glad to be on this journey with you.

Ramona said...

I'm busy collecting nuggets of wisdom from all my writing friends this morning. And your nugget: "I think I live better when I slice." I'm so glad that you're here, even with so much else going on in your life right now. And I'm wishing you success in your weight loss journey. I'm a lifetime WW member who likes to say that I was once at goal weight for ten minutes. Your words last week inspired me to try a little harder on this challenging journey.

Michelle said...

I am so thankful that you understand your 'why' of writing slices because that means you are here! Life is overwhelming but "I think I live better when I slice" is what THIS is all about -- connecting to others through words. Hang on and enjoy the journey this month! I'm so happy you are here!

Michelle Li said...

Carol, until half an hour ago, I was still on the fence on whether or not I would actually do the SOL challenge this year. I don't know how, but I managed to get something out. Then I looked for your blog, because you gave me such encouragement in comments last year. I'm so glad you are here! (I told myself I'm a day-to-day basis. We'll see what happens...)