Pages

Friday, March 31, 2017

SLICE #31- Thanks for the stories


"All we are, yes, all we can be, are the stories we tell," he says, and he is talking as if he is talking only to me. "Long after we are gone, our words will be all that is left, and who is to say what really happened or even what reality is? Our stories, our fiction, our words, will be as close to truth as can be. And no one can take that away from you."    Nora Raleigh Baskin

This came across my Facebook page today. And somehow, it seemed perfect for the last day of March, the last day of slicing for this year. Actually not really the last day of slicing, because we will slice again on Tuesday. But this day, the last day of March, even the seventh time, feels, like always, a little bittersweet. 

I think about all of the stories I have read this month- slicers like Linda, Elsie, Michelle, Tara, Ramona, Chris, and Elisabeth and others- people I have followed for years. They've become more than fellow slicers. They have become friends.

 I think about all of the new slicers- my Welcome Wagon folks- that I got to know  for the first time this year.I have loved getting to know them through their stories. I hope I will see them on Tuesdays. 

I think about the people that didn't slice this year- Cathy who started, then went on vacation and didn't pick back up again, and Nancy- who I have followed for years. I hope they will be back next year. I missed their stories.

I think about the stories I have told this year. Stories of possible retirement. Stories of struggling sons. Stories of school. I know next year I will look back on these stories, from farther down the road. I wonder how I will view these stories then.

And I think about the stories yet to be told. So many stories are left.

Until Tuesday, my friends, until Tuesday…

3 comments:

Mandy said...

Carol, Thank you for stopping by a few times and reading my stories. I enjoyed reading your slices and hope your paper got done at some point. See you on Tuesday.

Ona said...

The power of noticing these stories, the power or reading other people's stories... the power of reading your own stories a year or more later... See you Tuesday!

Ramona said...

Just finished my sixth year, and it is a bit bittersweet, but also a bit of a relief. Once a week slicing is so much more doable (is that a word?). I love your stories (especially the ones you write about school) and someday, hope we'll get to meet in person. See you Tuesday.