Pages

Friday, December 16, 2016

POETRY FRIDAY




Dan Rather has alays been, for me, a voice of reason, and even more so in this time of complete and utter craziness. This morning, he posted this poem on Facebook.

Such truth in such a time of darkness. 

PROTEST! PROTEST!
To sin by silence when we should protest
makes cowards out of men. The human race
Has climbed on protest. Had no voice been raised
Against injustice, ignorance and lust,
The inquisition yet would serve the law.
And guillotines decide our least disputes.
The few who dare must speak and speak again,
To right the wrongs of many.
                        —Ella Wheeler Wilcox

And it seems somehow right that Tabatha, at The Opposite of Indifference, is hosting Poetry Friday today. 

8 comments:

Alice Nine said...

And perhaps, Carol, it also adds to the "feeling of the rightness" that today (Dec. 16) is the anniversary a historic protest -- the Boston Tea Party, the midnight raid protesting British Parliament’s Tea Act of 1773.

jama said...

Hear hear!!! Thank you for posting this poem. I am SO tired of hearing T supporters say, "Stop whining and get over it." I hope we never get over protesting injustice and standing up for what we believe is right.

Linda B said...

I missed this this morning, Carol. Thank you for sharing. I always had the Latin phrase posted in my classroom, "qui tacet consentire videtur", "silence means consent", even more appropriate for us at this time.

Mary Lee said...

Is Ella Wheeler WILCOX a relative? :-)

Linda B., I love that quote!

I have started a tricky but important conversation in my classroom about the history of abuse of power by rich white men. I'm not mentioning any current names, but we're looking at European explorers and the native people of N and S America, I read a picture book biography of Sally Hemmings' son and my students were properly outraged that his father was Thomas Jefferson. Next up is Ashley Bryan's new book that brings 11 pieces of human property on an estate list to life -- Freedom Over Me. I'm going to fill their heads with the stories of Civil Rights activists. And I think I'll follow Dan Rather on FB.

Brenda at FriendlyFairyTales said...

Great post, great poem and great quote by Linda. I love you guys.

Karen Edmisten said...

That poem is a great choice, Carol, and love your quote, too, Linda.
Jama, yes, those who say"unify" and "move on" seem to be the same people who vowed to do everything they could to cause and hold onto division eight years ago.

I love my Poetry Friday people.

Tabatha said...

Dan Rather would get my vote if he were running. I like Linda's comment, too. And Karen's -- it's sadly very true.

GatheringBooks said...

I will repost this on my Facebook today. Feeling very militant myself, lately.