Pages

Thursday, December 8, 2016

haikuforhealing




a gentle dousing
of deep like-minded wisdom
softens soul's hard dirt


Backstory: I totally love my job.  It's such a privilege, every single day, to work with children and teachers, and to know that I am doing something that really, really matters.  At the same time, I can't think of a time in my 30 some-odd years as a teacher, when the job has been harder. Public perceptions, testing and testing and testing, accountability, never ending trackers and data analysis. 

Tonight my district brought in Principal Baruti Kafeli to talk about equity in education. I signed up to go about a week ago, but then waffled all day today. It's super cold, right around zero, and the roads are icy. I was seriously considering just heading for home, but then, at the last minute, I decided to go. I'm so glad I did! His words really fed my parched soul.

Very thankful to have had this experience!


No comments: