Pages

Thursday, July 30, 2015

POETRY FRIDAY

Two poems from Rumi wandered through my life this week.
The first one, "The Guest House" came from one of the students I am teaching this summer.
The second was on Kate DiCamillo's Facebook page yesterday.



“The Guest House” 

This being human is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival.

A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all!

Even if they are a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still, treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out
for some new delight.

The dark thought, the shame, the malice,
meet them at the door laughing,
and invite them in.

Be grateful for whoever comes,
because each has been sent

as a guide from beyond.

-Rumi-


Birds Circling- Wikimedia Commons

“Birds make great sky-circles

of their freedom.

How do they learn that?
They fall, and falling

they are given wings.

-Rumi

Keri is hosting Poetry Friday this week. 
Head over there and read some poetry.

6 comments:

Sally Murphy said...

Thanks for sharing these Carol. I especially like the second, and the lines:
They fall, and falling

they are given wings.

Heidi Mordhorst said...

I should remember that falling, I might be given wings...

But can I open the door to my guest house with wings? : )

Linda B said...

Accepting what comes is an art I think. That first poem packs a lot into its message, at least to me, Carol. The second is lovely, watching birds swirl and fall, magical. Thanks for both.

Tara said...

That first one...no one says so much in such mysteriously beautiful ways as Rumi. Thanks for sharing, Carol.

Joyce Ray said...

Rumi has so many gifts to offer us. If we only could remember to welcome all our feelings or experiences as guests sent to guide us. It's a challenge most of the time! Thanks for sharing these poems, Carol.

Ruth said...

I really needed to read that first one! Thank you.