Pages

Tuesday, December 23, 2014

SLICE OF LIFE

This year,
for the first time ever,
I won't be spending Christmas
with my mother and sisters.

We will see my mom tomorrow,
for a Christmas Eve Lunch,
but then on Thursday,
it will be just the three of us.
And to be honest,
I'm still trying to wrap my head around
what the day should look like.

I'll go to church Christmas Eve
but my boys have made it very clear
that they want nothing to do with that part of Christmas.
That breaks my heart but they are adults
and they have the right to make that decision.

The boys have already had their "Santa" presents--
one's computer died in October,
then I replaced the other one's very old car in November.
They both got some new clothes, out of necessity,
when they came home at Thanksgiving
I'm planning to do stockings
but that will be all.

I'll probably cook Christmas dinner
but my boys have become vegans this year,
no meat, no eggs, no milk (no fun!)
I'm not a great cook
and definitely not a vegan cook
so our meal will be pretty simple.

I've suggested other possibilities
Zoolights,
the Botanic Gardens,
a movie,
a walk at City Park
but so far
no takers.

to be honest,
I'm still trying to wrap my head around
what will be special
and memorable this year
the first year
without my mom and sisters.

3 comments:

Tabatha said...

Hi Carol,
I'm sorry you will be missing your mother and sisters this Christmas. Would it be possible to ask your kids to come with you on an outing as a Christmas present to you?
One of my kids has a gluten-free, dairy-free diet, so I had an idea to share with you -- fondue. My kids LOVE it. If you get some vegetable broth/gravy, you can dip bread, potatoes, all kinds of vegetables in it (you could also pick up some vegan cheese). Also, caramel and/or chocolate sauce for dipping apples, strawberries, and pound cake in. Easy, but memorable!

Linda B said...

I wish you a Merry Christmas no matter where you go, what you do, Carol. Maybe time to take your boys to a vegan restaurant? I'm sorry you'll be missing your mother and sisters-change is hard, but It sounds like time to make new memories, right? Best wishes to you!

Ramona said...

Wishes for fun even though it will be a different day. This is our first year without any kids at home. We'll be sleeping in and headed out for an early movie. Praying that your day will be filled with joy, Carol. Merry Christmas!