Pages

Thursday, May 18, 2017

REAL FRIENDS- Shannon Hale and LeUyen Pham


We are currently suffering through a rash of "mean girl" syndrome at my school. I feel like I have spent the better part of my recess duty for the last couple of weeks helping kids resolve conflicts, talking to the social worker, calling families, etc., etc., etc. I'm really glad, then, to have discovered a brand new graphic novel.

REAL FRIENDS by Shannon Hale and LeUyen Pham, is a graphic novel, a biography, of Shannon's intermediate grade experiences. It includes stories of friends who become "not friends," being part of groups, and not being part of groups, getting glasses, bullies, loneliness, making new friends. All of those intermediate grade experiences that are so much a part of kids' lives, and so, so, so hard.

On a teaching note, REAL FRIENDS includes a lot of short, episodic stories. I can see myself using it during a unit on personal narratives. Kids could tell their friendship stories in graphic novel format, then move to a more traditional personal narrative.

I'm thinking this is a book I'm going to be replacing pretty regularly. I suspect it's going to get read a lot!

1 comment:

Ramona said...

And this book fills a real need. How wonderful to address these issues in graphic novel format. Thanks for pointing me to this title. I heard it mentioned on a podcast yesterday, but had forgotten to request it once I was out of the car.