Pages

Thursday, April 14, 2016

POEM #14- BYGONES


I'm writing poetry this month with Mary Lee HahnKevin HodgsonSteve Peterson, and Carol Varsalona.
"Glory Years"

In those days I was
captain of the team
master of the ball
my confident smile
forecast weekend plans--
a win on the basketball court
followed by a chocolate soda
spinning the stool to face
my latest conquest

Today I am
captain only of scorched fields
I spin grains of parched wheat
in dry, cracked palms
joy has been eclipsed by weather,
worries, and prayer pleas
for rain, a plentiful crop
one more year of plenty

When did it go awry?

(C) Carol Wilcox, 2016

2 comments:

Mary Lee said...

Sigh. The price of adulthood. And the curse of farming the arid dry plains.

Dogtrax said...

You asked me
if I still remember ...
I said no,
even as the crowd
roared in my head.