Tuesday, June 9, 2015
SLICE OF LIFE
I'm reading everyone's plans for summer. And I really don't have very many. OK, unless you count having a lump removed from the dog's leg ($1400) and a tree that's moving the foundation of the garage cut down ($1000). And applying for student loans because one of my sons thinks he is going back to school this fall (a million dollars).
I decided, then, that I would make a bucket list of things I'd like to do this summer.
1) Buy a camera. Or a phone with a camera. Nothing fancy, just something simple and cheap. Take some pictures.
2) Use the camera to try some of the new apps that I keep reading about.
3) Learn a few new apps.
4) Buy a bike. Again, nothing fancy. Just something I can use to get some exercise.
5) Work on my Spanish. Every day. Thirty minutes. Maybe even get brave enough to try a Spanish conversation table.
6) Write an article about Mo Willems. And the "rigorous" thinking the first graders did around this author.
7) Go to Mount Rushmore. Some place I've always wanted to see. Six hours away. I could do it in one day, I think.
8) Go to water. I'm really longing for a beach, but that's probably not happening. Maybe Grand Lake, couple of hours away from Denver. On a weekday, so the crowds and traffic won't be so crazy.
9) Visit the Denver Zoo. It was remodeled several years ago and I have been wanting to see it.
10) Go to a Rockies game. I used to share season tickets with a couple of neighbors. After I adopted the boys, I stopped going, because they hate baseball.
11) Use my Botanic Gardens membership.
12) Write some poetry. Post it on Poetry Fridays.
13) Read. Concentrate on middle grade and YA novels.
14) See Wicked. Hopefully on a discount, same-day ticket.
15) Take an art class. Maybe through the Botanic Gardens.
16) Work on my garden (or the area that I keep pretending is a garden).
17) Connect with a few friends I haven't seen in a while.
18) Do the online book club. And read at least four more professional books.
19) Go to an author talk at Tattered Cover.
20) Go to City Park Jazz.
21) Learn to use Netflix and see some movies I really wanted to see. Selma is the first one on my list.
There's lots of other stuff I need to do. Finish my taxes (I took an extension). Work on projects for school, including the book room, which I am planning on doing one day a week. Clean my closet. Deep clean my house. Declutter. Get estimates on some projects around my house.
But this is the stuff I want to do. Maybe, by making it public, I will accomplish at least a few of these items.