Pages

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

SLICE OF LIFE- CONFESSIONS OF A CRAZY BOOK GAL

I have always known that books are a teeny little bit of my addiction in my life, but I think I've reached a new level of craziness.

About two weeks ago, my friend Mary Lee posted a review of a brand spanking new alphabet book, TAKE AWAY the A, by Michael Escoffier. Mary Lee said,  

"You will want this book. I guarantee it.

Best. Alphabet Book. Ever.

This is the kind of mentor text that makes you want to try writing this way...right NOW.

Here's a taste:

"Without the A
the BEAST is BEST.
And then, as if that wasn't enough, Mary Lee went on to say, "Need a quote for a slide in your word study/vocabulary presentation?" And she shared a terrific quote about the connection between vocabulary and concept development.

Well, not only do I LOVE alphabet books, but I actually was doing a vocabulary presentation the next week. I needed that book.

But it's not even actually out yet.

So I went over to Year of Reading and commented, "I am doing a vocabulary presentation next week! On Friday! I NEED this book!!!!!!!! NOW!!!!!!"

About ten minutes later I got a text from Mary Lee.  "How bad do you want it? I can bring it to Colorado today and you can come pick it up at the airport."  That very day she was headed to Denver.  

I wanted it. I wanted it badly.

No actually, really, I NEEDED it. I needed that book for my vocabulary workshop.

And so we made arrangements to meet at the airport. And I drove to the airport, 30 minutes away, during rush hour.

And met Mary Lee at the baggage department.

And got the book (also got to visit for a few minutes while we waited for her ride, which was definitely an added bonus).

And shared it at my workshop.

Then put it in an envelope to send back to her.

Because I love books.

And I really did need it.

But some people might think I'm just a teeny bit crazy.


15 comments:

Tara said...

That's a great story - about books, and about friends.

Cathy said...

Carol,
Loved the story….and can't wait for the book. I. Need. That. Book. Well, at least you and Mary Lee make me pretty sure I do.

Cathy

Amy Rudd said...

Carol,
This book sounds fun. How perfect that Mary Lee had it ready and waiting to handoff in time for your workshop! It was Karma- you need that book!

Brenda Eaves said...

"A teeny bit of an addiction..." You made me smile and know I am not alone. What a terrific story to share with students - the power of the book is strong and the connection between readers is great. Thanks for sharing your slice of life.

Tabatha said...

Doesn't sound crazy to me...a person needs the tools of their trade! :-)

Jennifer Laffin said...

Ahhh...the things we will do for our books!
~Jennifer

Lisa Corbett said...

That's a great story! I love the way Web 2.0 is allowing regular folks to connect with published authors!

Mary Lee said...

I love this story!

I love YOU!

I love being a fellow Crazy Book Gal!

Kyle said...

I want to see your vocabulary presentation. Can I come?

Kyle said...

I want to see your vocabulary presentation. Can i come?

Beverley Baird said...

Wonderful story. How great that Mary Lee was able to hand off the book and that you met her and then had the book to share. Sounds like a fabulous mentor test for sure.

Unknown said...

I guess I NEED it now too! I love alphabet books especially clever ones like this. Absolutely love that you shared it between friends and now with us.

elsie said...

It was serendipity, how perfect! The stars aligned to make this happen, of course you did have to work to get it (driving in rush hour traffic), but what a small price to pay. I know I will be looking for this book when it comes out.

Michelle said...

What a fun little story! What perfect timing! What great friends! What book love! (I think I need this book too!) So glad you shared!

Ramona said...

Love these words from your post. "Because I love books. And I really did need it." This book crazy gal will be on the lookout for this book. How serendipitous that Mary Lee was headed to Denver.