Pages

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Poem #29- Imagination


Harvard, Annenberg Hall, by Jacobolus, found on Wikimedia Commons
 All month, I've been writing poetry around the theme, "Our Wonderful World" with Mary Lee Hahn and Kevin Hodgson. Today's topic is imagination and Mary Lee's poem made me cry. Be sure to visit Mary Lee and Kevin's sites.

"Imagination"

You bring the shirt
to  me
in the lunch line
burgundy
with white letters

Harvard.

"Look,"  you say.
"Look what I won."

I look into your
dark, dark eyes.

And I think about
how far Harvard
is from Denver.
Two thousand miles
east on I-70.
Roughly thirty hours driving. 

But more importantly
I think about
how far Harvard
is away
from your world.

you
oldest of three
speaker of Spanish and English
lover of books and math and science

two weeks ago
you told me
how your hotel cleaning mother
helps you hide books 
from construction worker father
who tells you to
stop reading so much

you are a respectful boy
who wants to obey your father
but you cannot stay away from
the printed word
just this month
you have devoured
the Lord of the Rings series
and two Christopher Paolini tomes

I look into your
dark, dark eyes.

And I know this is a holy moment.

"You could go to Harvard,"
I declare.

"You could
definitely

go to
Harvard."

(C) Carol Wilcox, 2014

6 comments:

Bernadette said...

That was beautiful. Everyone should have at least one teacher that encourages a child to reach and dream.

Tara said...

I've followed all of you with such awe, Carol. Incredible poetry...I hope you are discussing how this could be a book some day soon - what a classroom treasure it would be. I love the story in today's poem - how lucky that boy is to have you look him in the eye and say - your dream can come true.

Mary Lee said...

Now it's my turn for tears.

We must help them live into their dreams. If they can imagine it, we need to help them make it happen.

Anonymous said...

pretty nice blog, following :)

elsie said...

Such a heartbreaking story but told with such beauty. Miracles do happen.

Ramona said...

Oh, Carol, these students are so fortunate to have you in their lives! They will always remember the hope you extend to them. My favorite line: "And I know this is a holy moment."