Pages

Saturday, May 11, 2013

A SPECIAL GIFT FOR GRAMMY- Jean Craighead George

One of my all time very most favorite people was my mom's mom, my Grandma Grace. Grandma Grace was a librarian in the Chicago Public Library System. She was a single mom and raised my mother alone, from the time my mom was four years old. She lived a thousand miles away, so I didn't see her more than two or three times a year, but she was a really, really special person in my life. I think of her often, including this weekend, when we are celebrating the moms and important women in our lives.

Recently, I came across a book that reminded me of my grandmother. A SPECIAL GIFT FOR GRAMMY is one of the last books Jean Craighead George wrote before she passed away in May, 2012, at the age of 92. In this book, the main character, Hunter, collects a pile of stones and leaves them on his grandmother's porch.
"What do I do with a pile of stones?" asks Grammy.

"What everyone does with a pile of stones," he answered.

"Of course," says Grammy.
Grammy leaves the stones on her porch, and over the course of the next few weeks, the mail carrier, a repairman, a Brownie Scout, some family members and neighbors, gradually find uses for the stones. Finally, there are only a few left, and Hunter and his grandmother have to figure out what to do with them.

A sweet picture book celebrating the love of a grandmother and a little boy.

3 comments:

Linda B said...

I loved my grandmothers too, Carol, lived with one for a while. And I love Jean Craighead George books. Thanks for this recommendation, looks good!

Tara @ A Teaching Life said...

I knew only one of my grandmothers, but she was special. I think of her more often as I grow old myself, and always with such love. Enjoy your Mother's Day, my friend, do something good for yourself.

Nanc said...

I hope our library has it just for me this week. I am thinking of you and celebrating you as a mom today Carol. You are a mom that this old world really needs. Was your grandma raising your mom during the Great Depression? I can really hear a story in there that you must write. xo nanc