Pages

Sunday, April 1, 2012

A Meal of the Stars




If it's April, it must be time for poetry!
Went to the Tattered Cover yesterday to work on a project I've got going 
and of course I had to stop and look at poetry books, 
and of course there were some new ones that I just HAD to buy! 
At the top of the stack was 

a meal of the stars: poems up and down

This book, by debut author Dana Jensen, is one that I know kids are absolutely going to love. 
Each two-page spread has one poem, with an illustration on the facing page.
But
here's the catch.

The poems have one word on each line.

Kids have to decide whether they need to read the page 
from top to bottom
or bottom to top.
(There's an invitation on the back that explains that,
but I didn't read that until I had read through the book
and figured it out for myself).


Check out this poem about spring!


again
hatch
to
songs
and
birds
and
eggs
and
spring
for
wait
can’t
boughs
tree
highest
the
in
nest
the
long
winter
all


I hope Mr. Jensen has lots more books coming, because this one is definitely going to be a hit!

4 comments:

Franki said...

Oh, no....it's going to be an expensive month....

Linda B said...

It's like those reverso poems. I wrote one earlier this year, but it was lines, not just words. What a great challenge this would be for students to figure out! Oh-so many good ideas out there! I cannot go to TC Carol. I buy too many books! We just had our Scholastic Book Fair right before spring break, oh my! Thanks for this-I'll at least copy the poem & title for a reminder! Happy Sunday!

Mary Lee said...

Looks like one I've got to have!

Juliann in WA said...

Thanks so much for this - I am off to see if my library has a copy