The book includes poems about 14 different girls and women- some very well known:
- Nellie Bly
- Friday Kahlo
- Ruby Bridges
- Mae Jemison
some kind of well-known:
- Annette Kellerman, inventor of the modern swimming suit
- Pure Belpre- Children's Author and first Latina librarian at the New York Public Library
- Frances Mary Lappe- hunger activist and author of DIET FOR A SMALL PLANET
- Molly Williams, the first woman Fire fighter in the United States
- Jacqueline and Eileen Nearne (French Undercover agents during WW2)
- Angela Zhang- Scientist and Cancer Researcher
Each two- page spread includes an illustration by a different author (Sophie Blackall, LeUyen Pham, and Melissa Sweet are three of my favorites), and a short biography. Each spread also includes quotes from that person, embedded in the illustration.
- Nellie Bly- If you want to do it, you can do it, The question is, do you want to do it?"
- Frances Moore Lappe- Every choice we make can be a celebration of the world we want.
- Mae Jemison- Never be limited by other people's limited imaginations
- Malala- There's a moment where you have to choose whether to be silent or to stand up.
A whole lot to love about this book!
I enjoyed this book very much, Carol. It would be so nice for every classroom to share it!
I missed this book when it came out, but it looks like a wonderful collective biography. Will check it out!
Post a Comment