Pages

Friday, October 23, 2015

Poetry Friday



I came across this poem on Parker Palmer's Facebook page. I don't know Grace Butcher, but she reminds me of Mary Oliver, who I love…

"Learning from Trees"
by Grace Butcher

like the trees,
practice dying,
do it every year
just as something we do--
like going on vacation
or celebrating birthdays,
it would become
as easy a part of us
as our hair or clothing.

Someone would show us how
to lie down and fade away
as if in deepest meditation
and we would learn
about the fine dark emptiness
both knowing it and not knowing it
and coming back
would be irrelevant.

Read the rest of the poem here

Jama has the Poetry Friday Roundup. 



6 comments:

jama said...

Oh, Carol -- what a gorgeous poem! Grace Butcher is new to me and now I must find more of her work. This has got to be one of my favorite Fall poems now -- so thoughtful, beautiful, and poignant. Thanks for sharing!

Michelle Heidenrich Barnes said...

Such a beautiful poem, Carol! It pairs well with what Diane is sharing today on Kurious Kitty.

Tabatha said...

Wowed by this poem and its "Fine dark emptiness"!
I subscribed to that site and am looking forward to more mindful poems. Thanks, Carol!

Kelly Polark said...

Very beautiful. And though death is such a natural occurrence, I don't think we could ever treat it as an ordinary occurrence.

Carol Varsalona said...

This is a haunting type of reflection that has me deeply reflecting. Thanks for the introduction to the poet.
leaves and lives
falling away,
the spirit, complex,
waiting in the fine darkness
to learn which way
it will go.

Stacey Shubitz said...

Wow, Carol. That's a gorgeous poem. Thanks for sharing it with us as part of Poetry Friday!