In February, I heard Nancie Atwell at our state reading conference. Atwell did a two hour workshop on her newest book, "The Reading Zone" which I had actually read and loved a year ago. Before February, I had talked to my kids a lot about engagement. Since February, we've been talking about going into their "Zone." My kids know that when you are in your "Reading Zone" you:
- Aren't aware of anything going on around you.
- Feel like you are in the book.
- Have a movie in your head.
- Can hear the characters' voices in your head.
- You want to tell other people about your book.
- Often want to keep reading, even when time is up.
- Easily make/exceed your page goal.
- Aren't bothering or distracting other readers.